Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's been a long time coming...

Well...it's been quite a while since I've made a post on here. And for those of you still following my blog, I appreciate you not dumping me.

A lot of things have happened since my last post this past July. The Cardinals had an amazing run in the play-offs and one hell of a World Series! Then, while I was still riding high on the euphoria of the World Series win, Tony LaRussa announces his retirement. I wasn't happy about it, but you can't blame the guy for going out on top. But just when I was getting over the loss of LaRussa, Pujols goes and signs with the Angels. Total disappointment...but what are you gonna do?

So...let's get down to the business at hand. This is, after all, a baseball card blog.

I was recently invited to join an All-Time Greatest fantasy baseball league, and decided to accept since I've never done a league like that before. The draft has forced me to research ball players in order to come up with a respectable roster. That recent research has got my baseball card collecting juices flowing again, and in turn, driven me back to my blog. (See how that chain of events unfolded? Cool, huh?)

So, yesterday I was looking through my cards, trying to find some duplicates for a trade I'm working on, and I found several sets (or more accurately insert sets and parallels) that I made me want to get the whole set.

I tend to go through these "phases" in my collecting preferences. Right now, I'm all about the minis...you know those tobacco-sized little cards that you see in a lot of sets. Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen, and Obak all have mini parallels of their base sets, but Kimball Champions is a stand-alone set, meaning they're not a parallel or variation card. They're based on the n184 Kimball Champions 50-card set produced in 1887 that only had 4 baseball players in it. The rest of the original set was made up of everything from a checkers champion to Annie Oakley. The 2011 Kimball Champions set that Topps produced was inserted into the 2011 Topps Series 1, 2, and Updates sets. Overall there are 150 minis spread out over the three sets of the Topps flagship release. (I started to put a link to the checklist here, but you can use Google just as easily as I can.)


I'm thinking these minis are going to look good in my album. Let me know what you think about the Kimball Champions set or minis in general.

6 comments:

  1. I like minis in general. It started with Ginter and continues today. Welcome back. Even if you are a Cardinals fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm collecting the Kimballs too, and have card #151 Chris Getz 1/1 lol.

    Good to have you back, I've been wondering where you went!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. I find I get so wrapped up reading all the other great posts around blogosphere that I tend to delay posting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to the blogworld. I'm a huge fan of mini's... especially the Kimball set. I don't bust packs, so I cheated and picked up the three 50 card sets on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not cheating...that's being efficient. I just got the entire 150 card master set on eBay. Now I need to get the tobacco card sized binder pages. :)

      Delete
    2. Lol... depends on who you ask. Some collectors think buying completed sets takes the fun out of collecting. Personally... I believe people should collect whatever way they want (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else).

      Delete