Monday, May 30, 2011

My New Job

A few weeks ago, The Cardboard Connection was advertising for some writing positions. I took a look at the application and thought to myself, "How cool would it be to get paid for writing about baseball cards?" I told the wife about it, and I was pleasantly surprised when she encouraged me to go for it. So I took a chance, filled out the app, and submitted a writing sample (it was actually a post from my blog). They say you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, so I gave it a shot.

I never though in a million years that I would land a paying gig writing about the hobby. I have no formal journalism training and no experience writing (other than my blog). Speaking of my blog, it wasn't too long ago that I made a post about how I felt that I wasn't contributing to the hobby.

That's about to change. 

About a week went by after I submitted my application online. Then one day, out of the blue, I'm checking my Blackberry and I see an email from Mike Smeth, owner of The Cardboard Connection. He was offering me position on their staff! Can you believe it? I half-way expected the Candid Camera crew to come around the corner. I was on cloud-nine! It's still surreal to me.

The whole experience has been very humbling. There are probably hundreds of bloggers out there that have been around the hobby a lot longer than I have. Several of you guys write blogs that I consider to be quality material. The thing I find most humbling is that the people who read my blog and have blogs themselves are the same people that have taught me a lot of what I know about the hobby of collecting sports cards. I owe you my gratitude.



I'll be sure to post a link and Tweet about my first article when it gets posted.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your first published article on The Cardboard Connection... Congratulations 82Redbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gongrats buddy! Looking forward to reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Looking forward to the first article!

    ReplyDelete